With the many vegan cheeses that are now widely available at most grocery stores, it is easier than ever to veganize every traditional recipe imaginable. Today special guest Brigitte Fortin is sharing her vegan enchilada recipe with us!
- 12 small round corn tortillas
- 15oz grated vegan cheese (1.5 blocks Follow Your Heart)
- 1 cup of simple tomato sauce
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 medium union
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon “high heat” oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Pour 1-2 tbsp of high heat oil in a frying pan and begin heating the tortillas one at a time for a few minutes until they are soft and pliable. Use the spatula to stack them up one under the other (see video). This keeps them all warm and soft so you can roll them more easily.
- Roll the enchiladas. Sprinkle grated cheese over the entire tortilla. Then roll it up and lay it in your baking dish. Continue until the baking dish is filled with enchiladas. Be sure to save cheese to sprinkle on top later.
- Prepare the sauce. Crush and finely chop the garlic, and chop the onion into medium/small pieces. Using a medium sized saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until it’s soft and translucent. Then add the tomato sauce and salsa and cook for 5-10 minutes to blend the flavors. Taste it, and if it seems too vinegary, add sugar. If it tastes to sweet, add vinegar.
- Completely cover all the enchiladas with the sauce and then sprinkle cheese one the top. Optional: thinly slice a jalapeno pepper, remove the seeds, and scatter on top).
- Place in the over for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
This is a great dish to make for the week as it can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer and re-heated easily. Enjoy